Implant Size Determination
Implant size is determined after considering one’s overall physique (i.e., height, weight, hip circumference, chest circumference, breast skin elasticity, breast gland development, amount of breast subcutaneous fat), breast shape, and the patient’s desired breast size (i.e., average, larger than average, large). During consultation, extensive breast measurements will be taken. All these factors are collectively considered when deciding on implant size. Furthermore, Asian and Caucasian nude model pictures and actresses’ pictures are also evaluated with the patient to see what kind of image, mood, and/or feel different breast shapes and sizes create. Patients are also encouraged to insert breast implant sizers underneath their bra to get a feel of the range of implant sizes. Placing breast implant sizers help determine which volume implant one should choose.
Bra Size/Implant Size Comparison
Determination of a desired breast size cannot be exactly correlated to bra cup size without inserting the implant. Women’s breasts differ in terms of amount of breast tissue present. Therefore, a 220 cc implant will not create a B cup in all women. One should insert a breast implant under one’s bra to get a feel of their desired size, but this does not necessarily offer an accurate translation to the actual implant being inside the breast. The amount of breast dissection itself also affects the overall breast size postoperatively. For example, if one wants to have a more mobile breast, then the same implant will produce a smaller breast than in a woman wanting a less mobile breast. Lastly, bra-manufacturing companies differ in bra size determination. Therefore, patients should not expect a 32 C from one bra company to be the same as a 32 C from another.
1.Immediately stop taking the following medications 2 weeks prior to your surgery date:
e. Fish oil/omega-3
f. Herbal medication, red ginseng concentrates
g. Any blood thinning medications
In case of prescribed medications, please inform the office. The prescribing doctor’s approval is required before discontinuing the medication.
2. Since breast augmentation requires general anesthesia, you need to refrain from eating or drinking (including water) at least 12 hours before the surgery.
3. You are encouraged to take a shower and wash your hair before the day of the surgery.
4. Please remove any metallic jewelry (earrings, necklaces, etc), nail polish on fingernails and toenails. Do not wear any makeup, deodorant, body creams, or oils on the day of the surgery.
5. Please shave underarm hair before the surgery when undergoing transaxillary breast surgery. Hair may increase the risk of infection.
6. You must arrange a legal guardian or caregiver who will provide you transportation after the surgery. You will not be allowed to drive after the surgery.
7. Please take your prescribed medications as usual (excluding blood thinning medications) on the day of your surgery.
8. Please inform the doctor if you have had cold, infection coucgh, or phlegm within one week prior to surgery.
9. Please inform the nurse if your surgery date overlaps with your menstruation period.
10. Please arrange a caregiver or guardian who can provide you transportation after your surgery.