Meet Dr. Kenneth Kim
Dr. Kenneth Kim is a board certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon born in South Korea, and raised in both Seoul and Southern California. As an active member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the American College of Surgeons, and one of Korea’s leading plastic surgery groups – Dream Medical Group – Dr. Kim has extensive knowledge and experience in Asian cosmetic and reconstructive surgery. In addition to running his practice where Dr. Kim specializes in Korean aesthetic surgery, Dr. Kim also devotes his time teaching others as Assistant Clinical Professor at UCLA School of Medicine and as Clinical Instructor at Seoul National University.
- Assistant Clinical Professor – UCLA School of Medicine
- Clinical Instructor – Seoul National University
- Partner – Dream Medical Group
- Specialty – Board-Certified Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Diplomate – American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Fellow – American College of Surgeons
- Peer Reviewer – Medical Journal Archives of Plastic Surgery
Dr. Kenneth Kim earned his degree in Molecular and Cell Biology from University of California, Berkeley, where he was nominated for a Rhodes Scholarship based on outstanding academic performance. He then pursued a medical degree from Yale University, where he was presented with the distinguished Yale Department of Surgery Research Award. At Yale, Dr. Kim was inducted into the Howard Hughes Medical Institute with a research fellowship, with which he conducted research on tissue regeneration.
Dr. Kim has mastered the most innovative techniques in Asian aesthetic surgery.
Dr. Kim’s compassionate personality, calming nature, and dedication to serving his patients that truly set him apart
While Dr. Kenneth Kim’s academic background, professional training, and surgical talents are noteworthy, it is his compassionate personality, calming nature, and dedication to serving his patients that truly set him apart. Aside from his clinical and academic pursuits, Dr. Kim also sets aside time each week to help elderly patients who are in need of reconstructive surgery. It is an integral part of his practice and fuels his passion for providing first-rate patient care. Ultimately, Dr. Kim’s own personality, innovative technique, and extensive skill are all evidenced in his exceptional surgical results and are attested to by patients worldwide.
- Assistant Clinical Professor – University of California, Los Angeles, School of Medicine
- Clinical Instructor – Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea
- Northwestern University, Northwestern Memorial Hospital
- Yale University School of Medicine, Dean’s Award
- Yale University School of Medicine, Department of Surgery Research Award
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY
Dr. Kim received a 4-year scholarship to UC Berkeley.
- Rhodes Scholarship Nominee
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
Dr. Kim was inducted as a junior into the Phi Beta Kappa honors society for ranking in the top twenty of his junior class. Dr. Kim was recognized as having the highest cumulative GPA in the Berkeley Junior Phi Beta Kappa society members of his graduating year.
- University Medal Finalist
- Dean’s List (4 years)
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Research Fellowship
- AO Craniomaxillofacial Research and Development Fellowship, Switzerland
- Kim HS, Kim KK
Subbrow Lift Using Frontalis Sling to Correct Lateral Orbital Laxity
Aesthetic Plastic Surgery 2020 Jul:1-8
- Han HH, Kim KK, Lee KH, Kim IB, Lee PK
The Use of a Retromammary Adipofascial Flap in Breast Augmentation for Patients with Thin Soft Tissue
Aesth Plast Surg, Dec;42(6):1447-1456. 2018
- Byun JS, Hwang K, Lee SY, Kim HT, Kim KK
Levator Aponeurosis and Muller Muscle Plication Reinforced With Levator Sheath Advancement for Blepharoptosis Correction
The Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, 2017: Vol 28(7): 1849-1851
- Kim KK, Kim WS, Oh SK, Kim HS
High Double Eyelid Fold Correction Using Wide Dual-Plane Dissection. Ann Plast Surg. 2017;78:365-370.
- Oh YH, Seo JW, Oh SJ, Oum IT, Kim G, Kim J, Kim SY, Shin SW, Park DE, Kim KK
Correction of Severely Contracted Nose
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2016 Sept; 138(3):571-82
- Kim HS, Hwang K, Kim CK, Kim KK
Double-Eyelid Surgery Using Septoaponeurosis Junctional Thickening Results in Dynamic Fold in Asians
Plast Reconstr Surg 2013 May; Vol 1, Issue 2, 1-9
- Jeong JY, Oh SH, Suh MK, Kim CK, Kim KK
Effective Use of a Silicone-induced Capsular Flap in Secondary Asian Rhinoplasty PRS Global Open June 17, 2014
- Baik BS, Ha W, Lee JW, Ji SY, Yang WS, Kim KK
Adjunctive Techniques to Traditional Advancement Procedures for Treating Severe Blepharoptosis
Plast Reconstr Surg 2014 Apr; 133(4): 887-96
- Han HH, Kim KK, Lee KH, Park D, Rhie JW, Ahn ST, Lee PK
Transareolar-Perinipple (Areolar Omega) Zigzag Incision for Augmentation Mammaplasty
Plast Reconstr Surg 2015 Mar; Vol 135, No. 3, 517e-525e
- Cho IC, Kang JH, Kim KK
Correcting upper eyelid retraction by means of pretarsal levator lengthening for complications following ptosis surgery
Plast Reconstr Surg 2012 Jul; 130(1): 73-81.
- Byun JS, Kim KK
Correction of Asian Short Nose with Lower Lateral Cartilage Repositioning and Ear Cartilage Grafting
Plast Reconstr Surg 2013 Sept; Vol 1, Issue 6, e45
- Ahn TJ, Kim KK
Cases of Mild Ptosis Correction with Suture-Method
Archives of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery 2012; Vol 18, No.1, 15-20.
- Kim KK, Zhao L, Belafsky P, Patel PK, Strong EB
Technical note: “Look-ahead” navigation method for K-wire fixation in rhinoplasty
- Kim KK, Ji C, Chang W, Wells RG, Gundberg CM, McCarthy TL, Centrella M
Repetitive exposure to TGF-beta suppresses TGF-beta type I receptor expression by differentiated osteoblasts
Gene2006 Sep 1;379:175-84. Epub 2006 May 19.
- McCarthy TL, Ji C, Chen Y, Kim KK, Centrella M
Time- and Dose-Related Interactions between Glucocorticoid and Cyclic Adenosine 3*,5*– Monophosphate on CCAAT/Enhancer-Binding Protein- Dependent Insulin-Like Growth Factor I Expression by Osteoblasts*
- McCarthy TL, Ji C, Chen Y, Kim KK, Imagawa M, Ito Y, Centrella M
Runt Domain Factor (Runx)-dependent Effects on CCAAT/ Enhancer-binding Protein d Expression and Activity in Osteoblasts*
- Chang DJ, Ji C, Kim KK, Casinghino S, McCarthy TL, Centrella M
Reduction in Transforming Growth Factor b Receptor I Expression and Transcription Factor CBFa1 on Bone Cells by Glucocorticoid*
- Chen Y, Shu H, Ji C, Casinghino S, Kim KK, Gundberg C, Centrella M, McCarthy T
Insulin-Like Growth Factor Binding Proteins Localize to Discrete Cell Culture Compartments in Periosteal and Osteoblast Cultures From Fetal Rat Bone
- Kim P, Kim KK, Casas LA
Superior Pedicle Autoaugmentation Mastopexy: A Review of 34 Consecutive Patients
Aesthetic Surgery Journal 2010 Mar; 30(2):201-10.
- Kim KK, Mueller R, Huang F, Strong EB
Endoscopic repair of anterior table: frontal sinus fractures with a Medpor짰 implant.
Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery 2007 Apr; 136(4):568-72.
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons, San Diego 2019
Dr. Kim gave a presentation on Facelifts for Asians and Heavy Faces and a presentation on Wide Awake Anesthesia in Facial Surgery.
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Professional Liability Insurance and Patient Safety Committee Meeting 2018, The Doctors Company, and Napa, California
Dr. Kim gave a presentation on Postoperative Cognitive Dysfunction and a presentation on Limiting Operative Time.
- Plastic Reconstructive Surgery Korea 2018
Dr. Kim gave a presentation on Correction of Severe Ptosis with CFS.
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Chicago 2018
Dr. Kim gave a presentation on Deep Wide Plane Facelift.
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Chicago 2018
Dr. Kim gave a lecture on Eyelid Ptosis Repair and Deep Plane Facelift Surgery: Functional and physiologic restoration of the eyes, face, and neck.
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, Plastic Surgery Grand Rounds, Continuing Medical Education (CME) Lecture 2015
Dr. Kim gave a presentation on Eyelid Ptosis Correction.
- Aesthetic Plastic Surgery 2013
On Apr 27th and 28th, Dr. Kim gave a presentation at the Aesthetic Plastic Surgery conference that was taken place in Coex Converntion Center, Seoul, Korea.
- Seoul Rhinoplasty Forum 2012
On June 16th and 17th, Dr. Kim was given the honor to lecture as a guest speaker at the first ever Seoul Rhinoplasty Forum .
- The Rhinoplasty Society
In 2005, Dr. Kim was invited by The Rhinoplasty Society to present on innovative surgical technique in rhinoplasty using one’s own cartilage to augment the tip and bridge of the nose.
Faculty And Teaching Experience
- AO North America – Table Instructor
Advances In Minimally Invasive Techniques, 2004
Facial and orbital (eyelid and surrounding bone) reconstruction
USA; 2003 – 2005
- Porex Surgical
- Synthes Maxillofacial
USA; 2002 – 2003
USA; 2009 – Present
- Cedar-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles
- West Los Angeles VA (Veterans Affairs) Medical Center
- Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center
“Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery of the Breast”
Elsevier Medical Publishing; Amsterdam, Netherlands
Dr. Kim’s understanding and knowledge of the intricate aspect of breast augmentation and reconstructive surgery led to his role as video editor for Elsevier, the world’s leading publisher of science and health information. His collaborative work with plastic surgeons worldwide led to an in-depth video production of cutting-edge cosmetic and reconstructive breast surgery in 2010.
Archives of Plastic Surgery
Archives of Plastic Surgery (Arch Plast Surg, APS) is the official journal of the Korean Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons and is published six times per year on the 15th of January, March, May, July, September, and November. It is a peer reviewed, open access journal that publishes articles in all fields of plastic and reconstructive surgery including aesthetic surgery, microsurgery, craniofacial surgery, hand surgery, burns, wound healing, and basic research related to all areas of plastic surgery. Dr. Kim is one of the reviewers of this peer-reviewed journal.
Certificates & Awards
2019 Certificate of Appreciation, presented to Dr. Kim, Kenneth by the Korean Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons.
2019 Certificate of Appreciation, presented to Dr. Kim, Kenneth by the Asian Blepharoplasty Forum.
2019 Certificate of Recognition, presented to Dr. Kim, Kenneth by the City of Los Angeles.
2018 Certificate of Appreciation, presented to Kenneth Kim, M.D. by the Korean Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons